So then, brothers, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live according to the flesh. For if you live according to the flesh you will die, but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live. For all who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God. For you did not receive the spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you have received the Spirit of adoption as sons, by whom we cry, “Abba! Father!” The Spirit himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God, and if children, then heirs—heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, provided we suffer with him in order that we may also be glorified with him. - Romans 8:12-17
Today's message is about adoption. Adoption is a glorious doctrine that we as a church do not focus on near about enough.
Here are a few next steps for thinking through adoption:
- Every married couple should at least broach the subject of adoption this week. Whether you can start the adoption process now, or 10 years down the road, it's something you need to talk about.
- If you are even slightly interested in thinking about adoption more, buy Adopted for Life by Russell Moore. It's a wonderful and rich book all about the spiritual and practical aspects of adoption.
- Talk with one of the pastors here and ask for guidance! That's why we're here - to lead and guide. It's always a privilege and joy to walk through life decisions with our church.
- Ask your community group (and maybe your family as well) to start praying for you.
- Start looking into adoption agencies and the foster care system for Massachusetts. There are so many great resources online.
Remember, if you start down this path, you're not alone. That we're all there with you, and you have a whole lot of brothers and sisters in Christ here to help you.