Our next member meeting will be on Sunday, January 31 at 5PM in the Driscoll School Theater. Over the years we've had many family meals, parties, and business meetings together. But for the first time, we're going to be having a "members" worship gathering. In this worship gathering we'll be renewing the member covenant. To be clear, this meeting is ONLY for those who have completed the member process.
Ever since we started membership at City on a Hill, we have been a people who have been bound together by covenant. A covenant is much like a promise or a contract. It's a commitment. And we are a people who are committed to the Lord and to each other. When each of you became a member of City on a Hill, you agreed to a member covenant. We've read this covenant together at many of our meetings. Here it is:
- To work for the unity of the church by acting in love towards other members, by refusing to gossip and by submitting to the leaders that God has given to the church and will pray for the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.
- To walk together in love and exercise a loving care and accountability over each other and faithfully encourage and correct one another as necessary.
- To not forsake the assembling of ourselves together, nor neglect to pray for ourselves and others.
- To serve in the ministry of the church and will seek to be equipped for the service that God has for us.
- To, as we are blessed to be parents, endeavor to bring up our children in the nurture and admonition of the Lord, and by pure and loving example to seek the salvation of our family and friends.
- To rejoice at each other’s happiness and seek to show compassion and sympathy in order to bear each other’s burdens and sorrows.
The elders have decided that this is a strategic time for us to focus on the member covenant and be reminded to our calling as members of this church. There are many other churches in our networks who do these sorts of meetings every year with great success, and so we think it is a good idea!
During the meeting we will worship together, ordain new elders (Matt Harris and Jeff Johnson), hear some teaching on the covenant, and be given an opportunity to renew our covenant with one other. We're going to ask that all members actually go through the process of renewing the covenant, regardless of if they can make it to the meeting or not. After the meeting, we'll be following up with anyone who was not able to make it or who didn't renew their membership covenant.
There is no need to RSVP since we're not eating together, but if you need childcare, please let us know with this form!